Designer of the Month
is not only a reader of these journals, but also a wonderful designer! They have been designing since childhood (and have even gone back to redraw these designs). The designs are colorful and playful to look at it, so you should definitely give them a chance when you can. Something notable about these outfits is that they are new, yet have a familiar feeling to them--like they were drifting through your imagination. Some pieces are designed for mythical creatures (such as, elves), which makes it perfect for costume ideas. Definitely check out :iconBadakTinli:'s work on days that seem dull, because they will brighten up your day and imagination.
Interview with the Designer
1) What inspires you?
"Anything can inspire me but when you look up my gallery you can see that I mostly get inspired by fantasy themes like fairies, mermaids, fairytales, steampunk, mythologhy and anything magical. For fashion illustrations I get inspired by costume history and vintage fashions. When you get inspired by so many thins, you will have a sketchbook full of doodles waiting to be finished. So I sometimes make lists and this way I am not distracted by ideas for new projects. I write them down, I start one series of illustrations and then later I try to do the new ones. Well that does not always work but still this helps me a lot."
2) When did you start designing clothes?
" At a very early age I guess. I have drawings from age 8 and I made a series of illustrations redrawing them. basaktinli.deviantart.com/gall…
here you can see them."
3) Is there anyone on deviantART you look to inspiration for clothing ideas?
are artists that have really inspirational styles for illustrations. There are so many talented artists here on DeviantART, however for clothing details I dont really look for inspiration on DeviantArt. If I am making research about a project, lets say I am going to create a medieval clothing design, I look for authentic clothes from medieval times, using search engines ."
4) What's your favorite style?
"I think I already said this but I like historical and vintage clothing. I can dream of drawing gowns for ancient goddesses all day, or I can create a collection insipired by retro clothing. For example I recently did this illustrations based on 50s fashion. fav.me/d6qplbd
5) Do you sew your own clothes?
"I used to sew since I got courses on pattermaking, draping and sewing. Unfortunately I dont like sewing. When you have so little time to do something for yourself, you should go for the things you like and for me it
has always been drawing."
6) Any advice you could give? "I am not the person to give advices and I still have many things to learn. But I wished someone had given me some advices on how to choose a path in life when I was a teenager. So if I could build a timemachine and go find myself in those times I would tell myself these: Do not let go of yourself, if you want something go for it, dont let circumstances limit you. Dont let anyone tell you what is good for you, if you do you will regret of not doing what you want.Just try harder to get what you want. Refuse. Learn to say no. If you want to get to dessert and there is a meal you have to finish before, just skip it. If you are not in the right school for you simply change it. If your friends are no good for you, just make new friends. Dont worry about money, you can never have enough of it and it doesnt worth happiness. Dont worry to much about anything, you will realize later that things you worried about were trivial."
Question of the Month
What is your favorite winter/autumn accessory?
polyvore.com Is a website that I was introduced to me by a friend. I used this to make a collage of clothing for my OCs, but it is really good for seeing new clothes and you can even buy clothes from the companies. The clothes prices differ depending on what you choose, but to make a collage is free and good for character development.
Yesterday when I was watching Phantom of the Opera
I was amazed by the beauty of the clothing. If you are just looking for clothing inspiration, I suggest you skip to the song masquerade (www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bn4BA…
. The story itself is romantic and a classic, so it would be better if you watch the whole movie, if you haven't already.
Quote of the Month
Art produces ugly things which frequently become beautiful with time. Fashion, on the other hand, produces beautiful things which always become ugly with time.
- Jean Cocteau
Remember I take suggestions for any of the categories in the designer of the month journals! Also, I really appreciate your feedback!